MIG welder question

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MIG welder question
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:31:48 -0500
I just bought a MIG-Pak 15 Lincoln wire welder, primarily as a result of
good advice on this list. I'm happy with it but must admit I've only
made a few passes with it. It will get a workout during the holidays.

Question:

When I screw the plastic spool-holder thumbscrew in all the way, it is
too tight on the wire spool. When I back out the setscrew in the
threaded ID of the spindle like the instructions say to do, this
setscrew turns 'way too easily and the rotation of the spool of wire
almost immediately tightens everything up again.

I solved this problem by putting a little metal spacer under the
setscrew after fiddling with the proper length. I'm theorizing that the
setscrew should be of the elastic insert type or something like that, to
keep it from turning so freely.

Comments?
--
uncle jack