RE: Salvation, now concrete anchors

To: "'Phil Ethier'" <pethier@isd.net>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Salvation, now concrete anchors
From: Ken Landaiche <ken.landaiche@dlcc.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:04:38 -0800
Out here in quake country we'd drill a hole for expansion bolts or
epoxied in bolts to hold down the sole plate after the fact like that.
The powder charge gizmos I have seen wouldn't have the kind of hold I'd
want in a wall's sole plate. The epoxied bolts are actually the
suggested method around here. Something I learned from the architect who
drew up my garage plans was the the design requirements for wind loads
were much higher than the ones for earthquake loads. I live about 20
miles from the San Andreas fault, by the way.

OF course, now that I have written all of that I have to ask, will this
wall be free standing or does it tie into lots of other structure so
that the sole plate only needs something to keep it from sliding on the
floor?

Ken Landaiche