Re: Care of leather seat covers.

To: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
Subject: Re: Care of leather seat covers.
From: nogera@juno.com (robert c noguiera)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:19:39 -0500
Pete;
Several years ago I asked the same question of a old guy who had spent
all his like working leather. His recommendation to me was to clean  the
seams frequently and use only a damp rag ( and a little Ivory soap if
needed0 on the leather.  He said most upholstery fails at the stitching
because dirt gets in the crack and acts like sandpaper. He also claimed
that oils and feeding lotions were useless . His reasoning made sense ,
The color is applied to the surface of the leather and is what keeps
water from getting to the hide itself. If water can get to the hide it
will shrink up and  look so bad you would replace it. So if water can't
get to the hide what makes you think oils, lotions or foods will. ( He
told me if I wanted to Feed my seats I would have to take the covers off
and apply the "food"to the the back side of the leather)
Basically if your leather can benefit from 'treatments' its time to have
it refinished or replaced, and if your leather is in good condition it
won't benefit from anything you put on it .

Bob Nogueira

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:10:41 -0400 ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov Peter Schauss x
2014) writes:

>What is the recommended maintenance (and products) for leather seat
>covers?
>
>I reupholstered the seats on my MG last spring with the Moss leather
>seat kit, so my primary concern at thi
s point is preservation, not