garage construction

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <n.ny@intest.com>,
Subject: garage construction
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:19:53 -0500
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>

>Why don't we just rename this list "compressors@autox.team.net" and be
>done with it?

OK, how's this, Chris?  When I was with you and the rest of Team Fat at the
VTR
Nationals (sure is neat to have a national convention a half-hour from my
house), I was
threatening to expand the garage at my new house from 20 x 22 to 20 x 50.
Well, I signed the work order last night. The contractor will put in the
slab, walls and
roof on the new section and move the existing 16-foot roll-up door and
opener to the new
front facade.

I will do all the electrical, gas and insulation work inside.  Expect me to
ask for advice
here and there.

The basic plan is for the first 20 feet of the building to be unheated
parking garage for
regular car use.  My wife will be driving to work at her new job location
this winter
(accepted the promotion just today) and she has a rule:  "I don't care how
much garage
you have or how much you need, but *I* don't scrape windows."  This parking
garage
will also be the "vestibule" for the shop, so I never have to open the shop
door to the
outside in the winter.  Have not worked out the door arrangement in the
partition wall
yet.  One way is a 9-foot-wide roll-up door with a 36-inch regular door next
to it.  Other
bizarre concepts include some kind of 16-foot-wide door with an access door
set into it.

The remainder will be insulated and heated shop.  I will be doing this as I
get to it.
The problem I have right now is that I promised the contractor I would give
him plumb
walls to start from.  The garage was built in 1972 as far as we can tell.
The sheathing
was this black stuff which I don't have a name for.  It is not outstandingly
strong.  The
garage has picked up a lean over time.  I have put up some diagonal cables
and
turnbuckles across the back and front to straighten the garage.

Unfortunately, the sheathing which has had 26 years to deform is not being
too
cooperative about coming back.  Anybody ever deal with this black stuff?

Europa, Quantum Syncro, Suburban
LOON, LOL/SCCA, VTR, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/