Re: Sand Blasters

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Sand Blasters
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:36:23 -0500
Ken wrote:

>So what should I look for in sand blasters?

In my opinion (and I have one of those blasters) this is something that
should be "farmed out" to commercial services and here's why:

Huge air requirement  .  .  horrible uncomfortable bounce-back of media . .
.  breathing
silica dust,  .  .  .  fouls the area  for engine building, even leaks of
dust from a cabinet.
  .  .  different media and equipment needed for various jobs, etc.

I recently had a pickup load of material blasted (eleven wheels and 20 items
of drive train and suspension parts.   Took 30 minutes and cost $30.    It
would have taken two days of miserable work to do with my little blaster and
a 3 hp compressor.

Tony