Re: Sand Blasters

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Sand Blasters
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:54:54 -0400
Tony has some good points:

>Huge air requirements

However, I don't have any problem with my 5hp, 30gal oil type compressor.

> horrible uncomfortable bounce-back of media . .

True if you are NOT using a cabinet.  When I'm using the pressure
blaster, I wear blasting hood (about $25) and a resperator.

>.  breathing silica dust,

I wear the resperator under the hood when using the pressure unit,
and even when using the cabinet.

> fouls the area  for engine building, even leaks of dust from a cabinet.

True.  I don't blast in my garage.  When using my cabinet, I take it
outside and place it on one of the powermate tables, with a plywood
table top.

>I recently had a pickup load of material blasted (eleven wheels and 20
>items of drive train and suspension parts.   Took 30 minutes and cost
>$30.

I have never gotten it done that cheap.  However for really big items,
like my chassis, I'll send it out.  I use this mostly for small things.
The other problem I have, is the co. that I use to blast things is about
15mi. away and I have to work 7am to 4:30 pm.  They aren't open on
weekends.

John

>Tony

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V