vacuum systems

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: vacuum systems
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:27:12 -0700
Hi,

I forwarded the vacuum system emails to a pal of mine - she sent this
back...

A reply you might want to forward......

Ron and I just put in a faily extensive dust system, based off a Jet
dust
collector.  We ran the GND wire through - it's cheap and easy
insurance.  We
just closed all the blast gates but the one the copper wire was to go up
and
attached a wad of paper towel to the end of it.  The Jet is strong
enought to
suck the wire through the system - just be careful that it doesn't get
caught
in the Jet's fan.

As far as having a large selection of fittings - that's a big
misconception.
We had a heck of a time getting the fittings to go between vacuum
systems and
tools.  Tools with 4 inch dust ports were no problem, but our bench
sander
has 1 1/4" connection and our cross-cut saw has a 1 1/2" connection.  We
have
a disk sander that has a 2 1/2" connector.  We ended up using an
interesting
variety of PVC pipe and fittings, dust system fittings, and duct tape to
make
it all fit together!  Also, connectors from one brand system do not
generally
interconnect with anothers!