Re: Painting garage floors

To: "Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing" <mikel@ichips.intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Painting garage floors
From: "Malcolm McKean" <mudshark@abandonrite.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:02:34 -0600
Mike,  I had a garage burn down a year ago and when it was being rebuilt
the contractor over looked certain things so to make restitution he
provided me with a 2 part floor coating.  I had to apply it, but it gave a
real nice durable finish.  I think it is much better than paint because it
is several millimeters thick, but it can be scratched off when or if I
place a jack stand on floor instead of on a wood block. I can't remember
name of product but can look it up and get back to you on Monday, I checked
at paint supply  places and they forwarded me to suppliers that could get
in all sorts of coatings.  Found out the stuff my contractor gave me was
fairly expensive ( 5 gallons did a 24 ft X 26 ft garage ) but would have
cost me about $150.00 if I remember right.  The suppliers were good in that
they sent me material info sheet with proper specs on how to apply,
something contractor conveniently forgot to give me.   Will look for info,
talk to you later.

Mike Lee said:
> Yet another question about garage floor painting....
>
> I recently bought a house, and expect to be moving in within a couple of
weeks.
> Like everyone else, I'd like to get the garage floor all prepped and
painted
> prior to moving all my junk in there.
>
> The house is about 2 years old; the garage was used as a sales office
during the
> entire period.  Currently, they are in the midst of scraping all the
paint/glue/
> mastic/assorted junk off the concrete, and patching holes where carpet
tack strips,etc.
> used to be.  So the concrete should be "seasoned" except for the patch
areas (I'm not
> sure what they're using to patch it), and maybe a little damp from
powerwashing.

> Luckily, there are no old oil/grease spots I need to remove.  So I plan
on getting
> some muratic acid from Home Depot, mix in a 1:10 ratio with water, and
use that
> to wash down the floor.  Rinse with water, and if I'm feeling energetic,
maybe
> repeat.  Then dry overnight and sweep with a brush/vacuum with a
shop-vac.  The
> final step would be to actually paint the floor (see?  I've been paying
attention..)

> The biggest problem is actually obtaining the paint.  I've called an
auto-body
> paint supplier (for Imron), and they said to try a house paint place.
Most of
> those don't have anything that they think would be suitable.  The one
place that
> did, said it was something I should leave to a professional (I do have a
f.a.
> respirator and bunny suit, and the house is unoccupied, so fumes aren't
an issue).
> The industrial flooring places won't supply the material, but would be
happy
> to come by and do the work for me.  So where have you guys been finding
this
> paint????
>
> Home Depot had something by Thompson (whose quality reputation I've heard
is
> suspect w.r.t deck treatments), but it did seem like the "right" stuff.
It