Re: Parts washer solvent comparisons

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Parts washer solvent comparisons
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 17:18:12 -0400
At 01:27 PM 7/2/98 -0700, Douglas Shook wrote:

>I'm embarrassed to even ask this as I know it has been beat to death,
>but I finally am ready to order a parts washer (a barrel mount, 30 gal,
>200 GPH unit from Northern Hydraulic), and need to buy 5-20 gallons of
>solvent.
>
>Anyway, could someone fill me in on the advantages, disadvantages, costs
>and sources for the most commonly used parts washer solvents:
>
>- mineral spirits
>- kerosene
>- Agitene
>- diesel
>- others?
>
>Thanks, and I promise this will be the last time I ever ask anything
>about parts washer solvents again.
>
>doug

Of the ones you have listed above I have used all but the mineral spirits
(but I have used it for other things and found it to be pretty useless
stuff) and I can say with some certainty that the Agitene is by far (real
far) the best choice there!   It works great and has low volatility (you
don't even have to close the cover to keep from losing it), no smell (I
mean none, unlike the nasty smell you get with diesel and kerosene)

Regards,  Nils