Re: Gas Cylinders (was: Shop Equipment for sale)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gas Cylinders (was: Shop Equipment for sale)
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:39:04 EDT

>       I saw a tank recently that was captured in WWII

I continue to be impressed that the world of tools and machine
equipment have such long lives.  Interfaces and techniques
haven't changed much in many, many years.  It isn't uncommon
to see references here to lathes, drill presses, etc which were
built in the 40s or 50s, still working fine and doing the same
job a new one would.

Compare that with other product areas where technology or
styling make things obsolete so quickly.  Most folks here
on the list like old cars of one flavor or another.  Yet,
while we like and appreciate them, most would agree
that today's new cars are safer, more fuel efficient, and
more reliable (ok. opinions vary on this one, but for the
general population vs the home mechanic I think I'm safe
in the statement.)

And of course the wonderful world of electronics where
today's purchase is obsolete tomorrow!  (interestingly
enough, broadcast radio and tv are sort of an exception
-- because of standards, vintage radios from the 30s do
a nice job of receiving today's [am] transmissions.  New
features don't always obsolete the old models.)

Oh well.  So much for this morning's pause for reflecting
on things.  I'll just continue to watch for opportunities
to buy old tools...

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com