what does construction REALLY cost these days...

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: what does construction REALLY cost these days...
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:57:19 -0700
Hi,

after 5 years, we're finally going to start seriously planning an
addition to our house - I had
envisioned a small addition with garage under it (shop tie in...).

Unfortunately, I haven't priced out this sort of thing since we bought
the house, and I was
wondering if there some good resources out there for guestimating how
much it costs to do
construction these days-  I used to think additions cost $100-150/ft^2
when you weren't
adding bathrooms (or kitchens, or....), but I've heard people claiming
it will cost twicethat
:-/   - I used to have accurate  numbers for what it cost to excavate,
how much/yd^3
for foundations, floor costs, etc,. but those numbers are now old (I got
them in '92),
and I'd at least like to know enough to keep the contractor types
honest...

Thanks in advance for any information you may have (personal anecdotes
gratefully accepted
as well...)

rkg
(Richard George)