Re: shield gas for MIG

To: <Shop-Talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: shield gas for MIG
From: "Bill Ruof" <wmrunner@westol.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 18:10:40 -0300
One more response on shielding gases can't hurt.

CO2 gives the least penetration.  You are less likely to burn through on
thin material.  The argon-CO2 is cleaner with less spatter and surface oxide
but it is a hotter arc and a little more penetrating.  Argon-CO2 is still
good for thin panels.

Argon with a percent or two of oxygen is nice and hot and works well on
thicker materials.  Without the CO2 you can run in spray transfer which is
hot, clean and has deep penetration.  The oxgen stabilizes the cathode spot
which yields a very smooth, controllable arc.  Gas mixtures containing
oxygen and CO2  shouldn't be used on aluminum.

Straight argon is good for aluminum but requires more skill and effort on
thin material.

If you REALLY want to dig into a plate try a high helium mix.  Bundle up.
Any exposed skin will be sunburnt in a very short time.

Bill

>Which makes a better shielding gas for a MIG welder, Argon-CO2 mix or
straight
>CO2?

>BTW, my main purpose for the purchase of a MIG was to do autobody work.
Patch