Re: shield gas for MIG

To: Fred Zampa <fzampa@cennet.mc.peachnet.edu>
Subject: Re: shield gas for MIG
From: Mike Frerichs <maf@radiks.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 18:43:49 -0500
I may be wrong, but I suspect that the books you've read said to use the mix for
steel in order to save money.  You may NEED argon for aluminum (I have no
aluminum
welding experience) but it will also work just fine for steel.  In fact, at the
welding shop where I used to work (all steel welding) we normally used straight
CO2, but the product that we made for one customer needed cleaner welds with
less
spatter and that's when we would switch to either straight argon or 75/25
argon/CO2.  It produced better results, but was more expensive.

Mike Frerichs
maf@radiks.net