Re: security systems

To: rex.burkheimer@chrysalis.org,
Subject: Re: security systems
From: Jim Ferguson <jferg@who.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:23:39 -0400
rex.burkheimer@chrysalis.org wrote:
 I bought a neat wireless system from Radio Shack for the shop, which
> I will install tonite. I also bought one for the house, but it already has a
> complete system that is not being used since I do not use a monitoring
>service.
>  I'd rather use the existing system, but without a monitoring service.
>     This system is (I believe) made by a company that is now owned by
> Westinghouse. It has a master control box in the hall closet, two arm/disarm
> panels in bedrooms, plus motion sensor and various door switches.
>     The system has no documentation of any kind, and is currently
>disconnected.
> I would  like to configure it to sound an outside siren and perhaps dial my
> pager number rahter than use a monitoring service.
>     So the question: Where can I find information on this unit so I can
> configure it to my needs?  Are there any techs that I could get to do this on
> one-time fee basis?   Any other ideas?
>
>           Thanks in advance!

I owned an alarm installation and monitoring business for many years and
can offer a few comments.

1.  Radio Shack equipment is generally very low quality and very
overpriced for the features offered. I have a bunch of them that I have
taken out and replaced with regular commercial equipment.

2.  The existing system could probably be put back into service and
reprogrammed to take care of your needs.  This will depend on what type
of panel it is and if it is damaged by lightning of something.
Westinghouse commonly installs FBI (currently model XL-2) brand panels
around here and ties it to a monitoring agreement.  If the monitoring is
not paid they will remotely "kill" the panel.  There is NO WAY  to
revive it without the codes from the computer that killed it.  However,
I have on several occasions gotten such systems up and going by
replacing the system board (cost about $40).

If it is a much older system it is likely a Moose Products produced
control. (They private brand for everybody).  Check the circuit board
for identification markings or numbers.

Glad to help if I can.  I sold the alarm business but still have my
alarm license, etc.

Jim Ferguson