Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.

To: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net>
Subject: Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:24:43 -0400
At 11:37 PM 4/17/98 -0000, Matt Liggett wrote:

>I really need to build myself a cheap, strong bench.  I need a
>splinterless surface strong enough to build an A-series engine on and
>strong enough to hang a heavy bench vice off the corner.  I would like a
>6'-8' length.  The more affordable, the better.

What I've done for both work bench and shelving is to use 2x4 and 1/2"
plywood.  I usually rip the plywood sheet in half so I get 16 linear
feed of shelving or table top.  I make a 2x4 frame using an 8' 2x4 on
the front and rear of the table top.  Then I mount 2 or 3 cross braces
using the metal 2x4 hangers and drywall screws.  For the legs I also use
2x4s.  On the shelves that I hung from the ceiling of the garage and on
the back of my work bench that is butted up to the wall, is to us 3/8"
lag bolts into the studs.  Then I put 2x4 legs on the front of the work
bench and 2x4 hangers to the ceiling joists for the suspended shelving.
I anyone is interested, I could probably find some pictures of the
work in progress and scann them.

As to the vise, you can put a 2x4 (laying on its side) reinforcements
under the top to attach the vice to.  Again I use lag bolts into the
2x4s.

>Anybody have a good method for finding a good _standing_ work height?
>I'm only 5'5", so 'standard' dimensions probably won't fit me.

I'm about 5'9.  But how dose standing at you kitchen counter feel.  I
just measured my kitchen counters.  They are 36 1/2" high.  My work
bench in the shop is 40" high.

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V