Re: unleaded fuel

To: ponyxprs@redcreek.net
Subject: Re: unleaded fuel
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:09:15 -0500

> > It isn't just California. Leaded gasoline (er, petrol) hasn't been
> > available in most of the US for many years, other than for aviation and
> > auto racing applications.
> >
> > There are a number of additives available here that are supposed to
> > protect valve seats, but I've never seen conclusive evidence that they
> > work.  The best defense is to install hardened seat inserts.
> >

> Now I've heard that people haven't really seen a difference, even with
> hardened seats. Does anyone else have an opinion on this???
>
> John

My BJ7 shows 92k+ miles of which 20k+ have been added since I bought the
car four years ago.  As far as I know, the engine has had no work done on
it.  I adjust the valves and check compression at least once a year and
so far I have seen no evidence of valve seat recession.  When I adjust
the valves they are always either within spec or a bit looser.

My experience with my MGB which, persumably, has never seen leaded gas,
but has no provision for hardened valve seats, has been similar.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net
1963 BJ7