re: Water Sand blaster

To: Jim Ferguson <jferg@who.net>,
Subject: re: Water Sand blaster
From: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 22:29:21 -0800
I used a similar setup several years ago to *completely* strip the frame of my
Triumph TR-6. I was VERY , VERY skeptical, but friends swore by it; I gave it a
try and   IT WORKS GREAT!!  If you have ever used a large, commercial,
pressurized sand-blaster before then you know the routine of having to don a
large protective hood and breathing mask because of the enormous sand/dust
cloud that will surround you and the parts you are trying to blast.

Using the 'siphon feed' sand blasting attachment on a high pressure washer
(mine was 3500 psi I believe) you have just about zero dust (due to the water),
no sand residue all over the place, just a small confined area of wet sand.
And boy does it strip off paint in a hurry.  I even used *sightly* less sand
than I would have if I used a air only sand blaster.

The only issue to be aware of, is a increase in the possibility of 'flash
rust', depending on the temp and humidity.  I did not have the problem with the
frame, but with some smaller parts that I did a few weeks later, when it was
fairly cool outside.  How to deal with it?  Since I was going to paint these
parts, I simply used a normal phosphate coating to neutralize the flash rust.
These phosphate coatings (from PPG, Dupont and others) are simply a solution
that you mix with water - something like 8oz to a gallon of water and you apply
it with a sponge or dip the part in it; let it sit and then wash off.

These parts have been painted 3 years now with no problems.

I will  not go back to air-only sand blasting!!

-Steve Sutton