RE: Battery Storage

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Battery Storage
From: "Lin, Gary" <Gary.Lin@wang.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:06:08 -0500
>From what I understand about batteries, it could be possible but a bit
complex.  Some batteries used to be shipped dry, then acid with a
specific gravity was added to each cell.  From then on the acid content
(total in solution and plates) should remain fixed in each cell
(ignoring seepage), with only water being added regularly.

So I guess the acid could be removed, the point being to stop the
discharge due to the potential voltage between the lead plates leaking
through the electrolyte and converting them into lead sulfate.  To
maintain the correct amount of acid, each cell would have to be drained
separately and the acid stored for refilling for that cell only.  I
suppose glass jars might be sufficient, with no acid touching the lids.
The only safety concern should be not to get acid anywhere it shouldn't
be.

My opinion may be totally incorrect.

Gary Lin
Burke, VA
Metro Washington Council of Sports Car Clubs