Re: Drill Press

To: Malaboge@aol.com
Subject: Re: Drill Press
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 23:33:57 -0700 (MST)
After years without one, I finally bought a Jet 17" floor model drill press.
How did I ever get by without one?  At the moment, I can't remember why I
picked the Jet over the Delta, though chances are it wasn't a major item.
Maybe the Jet was a 16 speed versus the Delta 12, or a square table versus a
round table, or whatever.  Maybe the Jet came with a higher rated motor.
For me, the taper fit chuck has been handy, as I have a handful of various
sized chucks that fit it, thanks to having a 1930's vintage Atlas lathe
on hand.

In that price range you aren't going to get a precision instrument, but you
will get a handy drill press.  Out of the box, the thing had something like
0.005 to 0.010 inches of runout on the spindle.  Still, I've been happy with
it, as long as I treat it like a drill press.  I once tried to treat it like
a milling machine.  Like I said, I've been happy with it when using it as
a drill press.

On a side note, I'm headed out of town for a few days come sunrise, and if
any of the Team.Net lists blow up, it will have to wait until I return, so
be patient.

mjb.