Re: Advice re: degreasing solution

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Advice re: degreasing solution
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 21:01:00 -0500
-> I'll probably go everlasting hellfire etcetc but any and every light
-> solvent that turns up including old gasoline, paint thinner, some
-> ATF, probably some brake fluid any leftover red--fuming nitric acid
-> etc gets dumped into a base of diesel.

 You may be in for a nasty surprise next time you fill your washer.
Used to kerosene and Diesel were essentially the same stuff.  A couple
of years ago the EPA began requiring "reformulated" Diesel in certain
areas, and it has now reached my area.  I have a parts washer half full
of it at the moment.

 The reformulated Diesel is easy to spot - it comes out of the pump as
foam.  It stinks.  It is soapy and slimy, has no apparent solvent
ability, doesn't want to wipe off, and evaporates *very* slowly - any
parts dipped in that stuff will still be wet the next day, instead of
evaporating like kerosene or old-style Diesel.