Re: Air Compressors

To: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Air Compressors
From: Eugene Abbondelo <eabb@loc.gov>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:30:42 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Douglas Shook wrote:

>                       <...text deleted...>
> Your manual will probably tell you to change your oil after x number of
> hours and not to use standard detergent motor oil as it will cause the
> valves to stick.  .....<text deleted>
> doug

Doug and other list members:
        You mentioned changing compressor oil regularly--I just changed
the oil on a recently acquired air compressor that had seen heavy use (and
abuse) in an auto body shop.  I now notice that the tank drain, when
opened, drains off a little water, and lots of the new oil.  Is it
possible that this is just excess oil (I don't think so as I filled it
until excess ran out the filler plug) or am I looking at a compressor
totally worn out and heading south.  If it's toast, is it worth having
rebuilt  (it's a hugh old Ingersoll-Rand 2 stage)
Any advice appreciated.

Eugene Abbondelo  (eabb@loc.gov)