Newbe air tool user question

To: "'shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbe air tool user question
From: Warren Chamberlain <warren.chamberlain@kla-tencor.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:14:09 -0700
At the risk of opening my mouth and erasing any doubt about my
ignorance, I must ask the following:

I just got an air compressor, water trap/regulator/tool oiler assembly,
and a few air tools. My oiler has a screw to adjust how often a drop of
oil is introduced into the air stream. I had/have no idea where this
should be set, but I suspect I had it set too high.

My first project has been to use an air sander to prepare some cabinet
doors for painting. While sanding the first 10 doors, all went well, but
now there are numerous spatters of oil coming out the sander's exhaust
port (and onto the doors). Is this normal, or do I have the oiler
dispensing too much oil? If I have filled my air line with too much oil,
is there a good way to clean out the excess?

TIA for any advice/assistance

Warren Chamberlain

BTW I don't know if it makes a difference, but my tools are cheep
"Central Pneumatic" units form Harbor Freight.