Extra Tank. . .

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Extra Tank. . .
From: "Steve Dillen"<Steve_Dillen@ismbc.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:30:36 -0700
I've set up my 4.5 horse (not exactly sure that I believe/trust the
'marketing' HP rating of compressors!) portable compressor to have two
quick release couplings after the filter/condensor and before the oiler.
One is a 1/4 coupler for my clean-air tools/sprayer, the other is a 3/8
industrial coupler with a short hose that runs to my portable tank.  My
thoughts in setting up this way were --

1.  The portable tank could be disconnected easily and be taken wherever.
2.  I plumbed in after the filter/water trap to prevent the secondary tank
from collecting any more water than I had to -- likewise I installed before
the oiler to eliminate oil in the secondary tank.
3.  By leaving the tank hooked up, my higher volume tools (sand blaster, DA
sander, etc) can be used for a little longer before they suck down the
reserve pressure.

I then have a 3/8 automotive coupler after my oiler for tools -- different
fittings keep oil contaminated hoses from being used with clean tools.  I
used the 3/8 industrial coupler to the secondary tank to allow the higher
volume, while keeping the coupling unique.  This is probably overkill and
I've probably just spent more on fittings while increasing the complexity
of the system -- but hey, it makes me happy!

I don't believe any of this has any impact on the CFM capacity -- as I
understand that is a function of the pump (i.e. the pump will produce X CFM
at Y PSI.  It will allow more 'run time' between recycles if you run tools
that suck your air reserve down -- of course the recycle time will be
longer (you have to pump more air volume to replenish your reserve).