RE: Automotive cooling

To: "'James Babcock'" <james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com>
Subject: RE: Automotive cooling
From: Bob Hutton <BobHutton@fox.vut.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:50:59 +-1000
Jim,

I think this system would work well on your TR7.

You've got a good point about the transmission fluid; you won't get any =
warming from the bottom of the radiator!

Re the thermostat housing, I made mine out of 2x 2" to 1 1/4" copper =
reducers, (normal plumbing fittings) and 2x square steel flanges with a =
2" hole in the centre of each and bolt holes in each corner, one flanged =
tapped.  The smaller dimension of the copper reducers should match your =
lower radiator hose. Braze a reducer into each one and a 1/2" brass or =
copper fitting into the side of one reducer. (This side has the =
'waxstat' side of the thermostat in it.) Just clamp the thermstat, with =
a slotted rubber 'O' ring seal, between the two. I used a bit of silicon =
sealer for good measure. Just cut a section, about 3", out of the bottom =
hose and fit it in place.
 A 4" piece of copper pipe the diameter of the top radiator hose with a =
1/2" fitting half way along completes it. Connect the two with =
appropriate hose, making sure to keep it out of the way of the fan and =
drive belts.