Re: Extracting Seals From Master Brake Cylinder

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, kvgcclow@plainfield.bypass.com
Subject: Re: Extracting Seals From Master Brake Cylinder
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:04:20 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-20, Joe Way wrote:

> For safety, wrap the open end in a heavy rag to capture parts and fluid.
>  You may need more air than you can get from a bike pump--I've had to use
>  a hydraulic pump at hundreds of psi on some cylinders. You may need to
>  plug both outlets and apply the air to the inlet, under the reservoir.

A method I have used with good success, and safely, is to use a grease gun. I
have drilled and tapped brake fittings to take a grease fitting. Screw this
into the port, plug the others, and grease away. A good grease gun will
produce a fair amount of pressure. The advantage of this method is safety.
Unlike air, grease is noncompressible. When the piston, cylinder, etc is
discharged, there is no pressure remaining to shoot it across the room. You
can watch it move slightly with each stroke of the gun. The disadvantage is
it consumes a goodly amount of grease.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/