FW: Extracting Seals From Master Brake Cylinder

To: shop-talk
Subject: FW: Extracting Seals From Master Brake Cylinder
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:23:12 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Kathleen and
Gordon Clow <kvgcclow@plainfield.bypass.com>]]

     Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 16:20:19 -0700
     From: Kathleen and Gordon Clow <kvgcclow@plainfield.bypass.com>
     Subject: Extracting Seals From Master Brake Cylinder

I have a 1969 MGB that has had a very unfortunate life. (25 years of
ownership by college students.) This year I'm trying to bring the car to
the point that it will start and stop. The first step I'm tackling is
rebuilding the master brake cylinder, but I'm stuck by a couple
recalcitrant seals. I've removed the rubber boot, removed the push rod,
taken off the first snap ring, and am now faced with the white plastic
seal. The manual says it should fall out by pushing the piston in and
out, but no dice. I'm considering removing the plastic reservoir and
heating the metal assembly in very hot water, in the hopes that the
metal will expand enough to allow the seal to come out. (I'm afraid to
apply direct heat, given the volatility of brake fluid.) This could just
as easily result in the plastic seal expanding more than the metal,
getting me nothing more than a wet brake cylinder. Has anyone else run
into this problem, and if so can they suggest a better way to tackle it?