RE: washing shop towels

To: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>,
Subject: RE: washing shop towels
From: "Burstein, Wayne M. x281" <BURSTEIN@genicom.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 97 10:39:00 EST
>I've been going through a lot of red shop towels lately working on my
>Midget and my Mini.  I've been washing them per the instructions:
>warm water, mild detergent, no bleach.  Problem is, there is still
>plenty of grease in them when I throw them in the drier.  (I'm liable
>to start a drier fire.)

I keep a bucket of water with LOTS of dish soap in the garage.
Used towels go into the bucket to soak until enough accumulate
( this also alleviates the risk of spontaneous combustion of
solvent soaked rags).  When it is time to do the laundry, I dump
the bucket into the washer, fill with hot water, and keep adding
laundry detergent until suds form.  That is usually about four
cups.  After the cycle is complete, I repeat the whole process,
usually using about two cups of detergent.  Then into the drier.

Then I find a load of old jeans, work clothes and wash/dry them
in case there is any remaining grease.  I never skip this step,
no matter how rushed I am -- I can just imagine the reaction to
ruining the next load if it is nice whites!

This gets the towels clean and keeps my wife from getting angry
about sliming the washer/drier.

This works for me and I think I heard it either here or on wheeltowheel.

Wayne Burstein
wburstein@genicom.com