Re: renting chain saws?

To: ericm@lne.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: renting chain saws?
From: mbarre@JUNO.COM (Matt Barre)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:59:04 PST
Eric,
Don't know about CA but here in AL and in FL you can rent them but due to
the high level of wear & tear on a chain saw if it isn't used correctly
the prices are steep.  I had to take out a sea grape tree in Miami a few
years back and a handyman wanted $120 to do it,  chainsaw rental would
have been around $40.  I ended up getting the cheapest saw Home Depot
had on sale for $99.  (2.0 McCullah I think)  I didn't think I would use
it much but two hurricanes and a little land clearing later and I find I
have gone through 2 chains and it is still going strong.

IMHO, unless you don't have the space to keep it, or simply need a BMF to
tackle a large job, I rec the purchase of a small saw.  Of course the
best solution is to borrow one from a buddy, but I don't recommend it.  I have
no problem loaning tools, just not my chainsaw or the wife.
mrb