Re: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>, shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission
From: Michael Sloane <msloane@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 07:02:32 -0500
At 04:50 AM 2/10/97 +0000, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
<snip>
>BUT - those "fish scales" that you get at Billy-Bob's fishing tackle shop
>can't be all that accurate ---- SO - Does anyone have a source of
>well-calibrated spring scales?
>
> Lee M. Daniels                 Laboratory for Molecular Structure and
Bonding
> daniels@cryogen.com                                      Texas A&M
University

I think Lee is missing the point here - The fish scale method was suggested
as an alternative to buying an expensive low range (inch-ounce) torque
wrench for a one-shot use (pre-loading bearings). For that purpose, you
just "calibrate" the fish scale by weighing a "known" weight (i.e. 6
1-ounce sinkers = 6 ounces) and marking the Billy-Bob scale with a china
marker. I think that would be more than adequate for this purpose. For
those who claim that the problem with a fish scale is the non-repeatability
of any spring scale (the spring tends to return less with each
compression), I say: "Get a life" - This is a one-shot deal to make sure
that the bearings aren't too tight or to loose, not rocket science to make
sure that "Discovery" makes it to orbit and back.

Mike Sloane