Re: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [crus

To: Brian Kelley <bkelley@ford.com>, shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [crussell@San-Jose.ate.slb.com (Christopher Russell)]
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 97 10:09:23 EST
On Feb 6,  6:12pm, Brian Kelley wrote:
> Speaking of which, anyone know where I can get a beam TR that is
> accurate around the 7-12 INCH lbs. necessary to set pinion bearing
> pre-loads?  People act like I'm from another planet when I ask for
> such things..

Are you sure its really only 7-12 inch pounds?  We've got three
1/4" drive beam-type torque wrenches in the lab (one's a Sears
Craftsman, BTW) and I can generate 25 or more inch pounds just
by grabbing a socket and twisting (and I'm no Ahnold S.).  I'd
guess that 7-12 inch is just barely finger tight.  Anyway, the
two of the three torque wrenches read to 200 inch pounds, and
the third reads to 120 inch pounds.  Besides the Sears wrench,
the others appear to be industrial brands with which I'm not
familiar.  I'd suspect that a good quality industrial tool
supply house, say one that carries Proto tools for example,
could get you such a wrench.

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm