Re: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [crus

To: bkelley@ford.com, shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [crussell@San-Jose.ate.slb.com (Christopher Russell)]
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 97 19:22:44 CST
Brian,

One the 7 INCH-pound wrench, have you thought of making your own. Seriously
a  small version of a beam wrench. You know, that might be a fun weekend
project (mill and lathe work).

On calibration:
I had rigged up an old headbolt... which passes through a block (support
-- well greased), and the other end is attached to a 25" long metal beam.
With two holes drilled into it... 24" apart. The old headbolt passes
through one hole, the other is used to attach a string to.

String is then attached to a simple bucket with a pile of weights in it.
Measure the weight of the bucket & scrap metal. Attach it to the string,
so the lever arm is horizontal. Use your torque to measure how much force
it takes to lif the bucket just off the ground. With the 2:1 (24" b.c. on
the beam) it is a simple calibration tool.

Oh, sharp readers will note "what about the weight of the beam?" Well,
rig up a counter weight. ;-)

Oh, I keep my "torque till it clicks" torque wrench in the tool box when
I rebuild motors. Simple beam unit is all I will use (I do like to FEEL
the bolts when pulling to torque).  Of the click wrench... once I know
how much it lies to me, I still prefer using it on the lug nuts. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom "never trust a torque to click wrench" Walter
Austin, TX.