RE: welding and grinding sheetmetal

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: welding and grinding sheetmetal
From: GGORMAN@dsava.com (Gorman, George)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:08 EST
Mark Miller wrote:

You've reminded me of driving home a new MG Midget, having the tranny seize
up two days later and having the dealer tell me that the factory forgot to
fill it with oil when it was assembled.  And they didn't sound at all
surprised.  Oops.

Just so we don't let Triumphs off the hook either, I'm reminded of my college
roommate's Triumph GT6 (back in the 70s).  Car always whined when in gear; the
dealer said the whine was normal.  We believed him until the day my roommate
went to downshift into second and the shift lever just kept moving.  Seems the
whine we heard was the shift fork riding against the gearset, and after about
2500 miles the gears ground their way right through the fork.  Or about the
time the rear axle inner u-joint seized up (unlubricated at the factory)....but
that's another story.
George Gorman
"People - can't live with 'em, can't trade 'em in for parts"