Re: welding and grinding sheetmetal

To: mikel@ichips.intel.com
Subject: Re: welding and grinding sheetmetal
From: dfdarby@JUNO.COM (David F. Darby)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 00:18:24 PST
Hello Mike:

After fussing around with wire brushes mounted on drill motors, last week
I picked up the DeWalt 4.5" HD angle grinder and a knotted wire cup
brush. I have seen the light! It fairly evaporates old paint,
undercoating, rust, and just about anything else that gets in the way.
The DeWalt uses the SAE 5/8 - 11 spindle.

I was able to completely strip the old paint and surface rust from an MGA
front wheel well and inner fender in just a couple of hours. I can't
believe I wasted so much time with the drill/brush business.

I'm a bit of a safety nut, and I would recommend donning goggles,
half-mask air-purifying respirator, and hearing protectors when
operating the thing. At the very least, one should use safety glasses
and an approved toxic-particle mask. You will be kicking up a lot of
fine material that might not be so fine for the lungs.

David F. Darby
Brushing up on my bodywork in the lovely White River Valley of Southern
Missouri.