Re: Micrometers

To: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: Micrometers
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 18:26:13 -0500
At 02:41 PM 12/16/96 -0500, you wrote:
>$200 is more than even Starrett wants for a new 3" caliper (I think the
>price is about $175). If you're willing to have an import
>rather than American made, you should be able to find one for under
>$100, new.

I didn't realize that Starrett was considered a good make in calipers.
Three years ago I was helping a neighbour work on his car and,in gratitude,
he came over a few days later with a gift - a Starrett 0 - 1" micrometer.
He didn't know what it was or how to use it, but since I did, he gave it to
me.  He'd used it for many years as a C clamp when glueing up small wood
projects!  I checked it on a gauge and it was still accurate to as fine as I
could tell, so I took it with thanks, and still use it often.  It's probably
30 years old at least.

Brian Evans
Director, ISP Marketing
UUNET Canada Inc.