Re: Micrometers

To: jibrooks@JUNO.COM (Jack I Brooks)
Subject: Re: Micrometers
From: Ben/Pam Zwissler <zwissler@hsonline.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:38:42 -0500
At 09:24 PM 12/14/96 EST, you wrote:
>Does anyone have a decent source of supply for inexpensive micrometers or
>even a dial/digital caliper?  I am looking to measure automotive crank
>journals in the 2 to 3 inch range.
>
>Is the going price for a decent micrometer really $200 and up?
>
>Thanks from a Triumphs list member who would love to subscribe to
>shop-talk but can barely keep up with the mail on one list.
>

>Jack Brooks
>Hillsdale, New Jersey
>JIBrooks@Juno.com
>1960 TR3-A TS69032L
>1974 Norton Commando Roadster

I'd recommend two things.  First, Harbor Freight and other discount tool
stores have decent mikes for under $50.  I don't think even Sears wants $200
for a mike good to .001!  Second, check your local pawn shops.  I've found
them to be a great source of precision tools.  Mikes are easy to check if
they have a few standards around.  Besides that, as long as they move freely
througout their range, they're probably OK. I paid $35 for a 0-2" Mitutoyo
with a digital (mechanical) readout.

Finally, most machine shops will check cranks for nothing.  I've even dealt
with some that would come to you.  That was some time ago though.

Ben Zwissler, zwissler@mail.hsonline.net
Columbus, Indiana
1980 TR-8
1966 TR-4A IRS OD