Re: Floor Paint

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Floor Paint
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 14:00:39 -0500

>> Fellow Shop Residents-
>>
>> I have used a product called "Amerlock". It is a 2 stage epoxy paint that
>can
>> be painted even in damp areas (they use it to paint off shore oil rigs
when
>> in place)
<snip>

>> Yeah, I'd probably do a commercial for this stuff...
>>        Nick in Nor Cal
>>

>It sounds very good.  Do you have to do the usual 40 stage acid wash
>preparation?
>
>Do you have the name of the company that makes it and where they are
located?

Ray-
I did use tsp three times to get all the crud off of the floor. The first
floor I did, I did not use any etch product at all on about 18 year old
concrete. I then later did a further area of the same concrete about a year
later (happy with the first results) and did use an etch. So far I'm happy
with both areas and can not tell any difference. I even painted over some
woodwork (once I got goin i just kept looki for things to paint) and it has
held up just as well.
The stuff "sets" fairly quickly, so mix up a small batch to do the edges,
then mix up the rest and go at the floor, it rolls easily. You'll need about
1.5 gallons to do an average 2 car garage. The only downsides are the price
and the fact that you must use whatever you mix and probably throw away
whatever you mixed it in and rolled it with. As I recall it was about $45 a
gallon, with a minimum of 2 gallons(one pigment and one resin).

The name of the company is:
   Ameron Co.
   201 N. Berry St.
   Brea, Ca. 92622

The Car Curmudgeon
      Nick in Nor Cal
Oh yeah, wear a "real" respirator with this stuff, not just one of those
painters masks. The stuff really smells bad for about 24 hours. I can only
imagine what the vapors would do to your brain cells...