Re: rebuilding electric motors?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rebuilding electric motors?
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 96 08:06:07 CST
Mike,

$35 for Brushes... ouch! Still cheaper than a starter.

Usually I'll do my own starter and alternator rebuilding.

Most common failure on the starter is brushes, and the
solenoid. The dealer wants $24 for a set of brushes (non
stocked item, special order only). Local "rebuilding place"
has them for $1/each.  I just take in an old one as a sample,
and they match it up.

CLean the copper with a NON_METALLIC "000 synthetic - steel
wool". Just polish is till it is bright. If you can "polish
them up" and see at least 90% of the area making good contact
no need to worry about it.

There is NO grease in there. Common to find it, as the rear main
seal (rope!) will seep, and with an engine with LOTS of blowby
I have found the starter soaked with oil. Still functioned, but
was a mess.

Heavy starters (ie. fitted to big V8's) will wear out the bushings.
Thankfully you can pickup "major rebuild kits" from some of the
better Mom & Pop autopart places (Napa perhaps). Worth inspecting.
[I have a metal lathe, and just make up the correct "driver" but
lacking an arbor press I end up "making something that works"
to drive the bushing back in... i.e. like a large bench vise.
Sigh, done incorrectly you'll crack the housing... hell, always
wanted a mig welder... ].

Oh... on my #$%^! Datsun Roadster to get the starter off the car,
you start by removing the carbs.... (hint, any time the carbs come
off I replace that starter brushes!)

Cheers,

Tom Walter
-- who thinks pulling a starter of a MG-B is pure fun! --
P.S. Mike - if you are at the Aloha plant. Baxters in
Bearverton (Cedar Hills Blvd) is a good spot to ask about
ths "starter rebuild kits". At least ONE PERSON there knew
what I wanted, and needed. Been a while. ;-)