Re: BOUNCE shop-talk: Non-member submission from [Bobbie Martin <bmartin

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: BOUNCE shop-talk: Non-member submission from [Bobbie Martin <bmartin@southeast.net>]
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:23:18 -0500
At 09:49 AM 11/15/96 -0700, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

>     From: Bobbie Martin <bmartin@southeast.net>
>     Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:19:53 +0500
>     Subject: Penncraft tools
>

> Many moons ago, I received a set of Penncraft sockets (from JC
> Penneys). They were guaranteed for life just like Craftsman from
> Sears. Now, Penneys no longer sell tools and they don't want to
> live up to their obligation. I was told that the only way they
> would do anything was if I produced a receipt.

Nope, I haven't.  I guess I lucked out, I bought Craftsman.

However, I did have the same thing happen with a local auto store.
Bought a T51 Torx 3/8" drive bit for pulling seat belt bolts.
Brought it home, put it on my 1/2" drive impact wrench, and
bla di da, bla di da, zing!  Broke the sucker right off.  Took it
back and asked about the life time warrenty.  The salesperson said
as long as you have your receipt.  Well since it had been less than
5 min. since I purchased the Torx bit, I did have it.  So he gladly
replaced it.  Took the new one home.  Thought to myself, Self -
lets not break this one too.  So I put it on the end of my 1/2"
drive tommy and put a 6' piece of pipe on the end.  S l o w w w l y
I pushed on the pipe.  Within in seconds, pop! There went another
one.  Took it back and told the fellows thanks, but I think I'll
go get a Craftsman one.  Drove down to Sears and paid 2x as much
for the same thing a 3/8" drive Torx T51 bit.  As I looked at my
new acquition, I decided that it didn't really look any stronger
than the 2 I just broke.  So instead of using my shinny new Torx
bit, I grabbed my cut off took and cut the nut and bolt off.  Took
me 2 hours to cut the bolt out.

I guess not even the Craftsman would have gotten that bolt free!

John

PS.  J.C. Pennies did honor their lifetime batteries.  We still have
     2 of them that get replaced about every 2 to 3 years, one in the
     Morgan, one in the TR 1800.

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!