Re: Recommendations for an electric grinder/cut-off wheel?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Recommendations for an electric grinder/cut-off wheel?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 23:15:07 -0700
Thanks to all for the replies!

The general conensus seems to be to get one from either Sears or
Harbor Freight.  Looking through my piles of catalogs, I saw
some relatively cheap ($25-40) angle grinders from Chicago Electric.
Roughly 3/4 hp, 10k rpm.  These types are dual handled, and look
like a rotary sander; i.e. the grinding disc is perpendicular to
the body of the tool.  They look good for grinding, but can I also
cut with them?  One of the big things I need to do is to trim back
the flares and fenders, and I'd rather cut than grind it off.  I
looked, and I didn't see and cutting discs specifically listed for
these tools.

I'm more familar with the air grinder/cutter, where the shaft for
the disc is in the same axis as the body of the tool.  The Sears
catalog has one for $75, but it is listed as a 1/4 rotary grinder;
again, no mention of cutting capability, or listing of any cutting
discs.  The remainder of their offering are similar in design to
the Harbor Freight ones.

I guess what I really have in mind is an electric version of what's
listed in the Harbor Freight catalogs as "Air Die Grinder" or "Pneumatic
3" High Speed Cutter".  These things turn at about 22k rpm.  Does this
sort of thing exist, or will one of the other two types I mentioned
earlier suffice?

Thanks again for all the advice,
Mike