Re: Recommendations for an electric grinder/cut-off wheel?

To: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Recommendations for an electric grinder/cut-off wheel?
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 21:45:40 -0400
At 01:48 PM 9/19/96 -0700, Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing wrote:

> I'm looking for some recommendations on an electric
> grinder/cutoff, similar to the 3"-4" air ones that are pretty
> common.

My dad bought one from Sears that is like an over grown dremel tool.
He prefers it to the air driven die grinders.  It's a "industrial"
model I believe and I think it was about $100.  If you aren't in a hurry and
haven't heard of Harbor Freight call them and ask for
their catalogue.  They can be reached at:

   Harbor Freight Tools
   3491 Mission Oaks Blvd
   P.O. Box 6010
   Camarillo, Ca. 93011-6010
       (800) 423-2567

-------------

> Mark Miller wrote:

> I bought one of the 4" $25 Chicago Electric ones from Harbor
> Freight Tools  (800)423-2567.  It's not at all a bad tool to use.
> Note that it (like all grinders, but the cheaper ones more so) is
> quite loud.  The neighbors won't like it that much more than a
> compressor.
> Oh yeah, a good face shield with goggles underneath plus some ear
> protection is really important.

----------------

I have purchased the cheap ones from Harbor Freight and 2 Makitas
for about $50 ea.  I'd say go for the cheaper ones.  I've burned
up 3 so far.  These are great tools, but not like the die grinders
with a cut off wheel.  I've never used the grinder as a cut off
tool.  I use it as a grinder and with a knotted wire wheel for
cleaning rust and stuff off parts.  Works great.

I have to agree very strongly with what Mark wrote about the face
shield and ear protection.  In addition, I strongly recommend some
heavy leather gloves.  I've had the wire wheel get away from me
and chew up both of my hands.  Leaves a nasty scare.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!