Re: AC/DC, No not 8 tracks

To: Nickbk@aol.com
Subject: Re: AC/DC, No not 8 tracks
From: rwil@cts.com (Roland Wilhelmy)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 07:48:17 -0700
It isn't always true for all purposes that an amp is an amp.  AC amps and DC
amps don't put the same load on switches, for instance.  While the 125 volt
ac 10 amp switch will switch 10 amps at 12 volts dc for some time, it will
probably wear out quicker than a switch designed for dc.  It might fail open
or closed; it will probably be arcing at the contacts that does it in.
There is a rule of thumb for derating 125 volt ac switches to 12 volts dc,
but I forget it.  Better to use a dc rated switch.  Try your local auto
parts store or an electronic supply store.

-Roland Wilhelmy