Re: Brake fluid disposal

To: SHOP-TALK@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: Brake fluid disposal
From: walter@roadster.sps.mot.com (thomas walter x5955)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 96 16:16:17 CDT
> mixing the oil with brake fluid makes it virtually impossible to
> recycle.  The recycling places like as little contamination as possible.

Agreed, seem odd any recycler would suggest mixing it with the oil.

> Don't know what else to do, other than throw it down the toilet, and
> let the local water treatment facility handle it.  Is that kosher?

NO! Sadly it takes very little to contiminate the water supply.
Brake fluid is really a nasty chemical, not sure why but that
tid bit was from a friend who works for "Department of Waste
Management" in Oregon. (I'll ask him about what is recommended
disposal - might even have a waste site www. ;-)

Only "automotive" waste I've seen approved for dumping down the
sewer (flush) is used antifreeze.  That will vary with each
county/State  [Recommended in Oregon, NOT approved in California]
Obviously for "home mechanics only" as a shop would still have
to treat it as hazardous material.

OLD OIL BASE PAINT: recommendation was to "paint" cardboard,
let it dry. Once dry it be tossed into the trash, as the
open can too. [Sacramento, CA]  in Oregon was the reply NO -
all oil based paint should be kept sealed and dropped off
with the hazardous waste collection.

Cheers,

Tom "toxic dump is in the left corner of the shed" Walter
Austin, TX