Re: Pricing on Lincoln welder?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pricing on Lincoln welder?
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 23:03:00 +0000
-> I bought a 100 from Northern. It works great on anything up to about
-> 1/8 inch thick. I mainly use it on .035 wall, .058 wall, and .083
-> wall tubing. No complaints here!

 I have a Century 90/130.  The two settings are for if you have 15A or
20A breakers in the wall sockets.  I have 30A in the shop, so no
problem.  <grin>  It welds the sizes you mention with no problem.  I
also do a lot of 1/8" flat and angle, but I've always ground a chamfer
on the edge to be welded.  I don't know if it has the oomph to do it
otherwise.  I have a bunch of 1/4" to do, but I expect to make multiple
passes in sizeable chamfers.

 Though the Century is a "cheap" welder I've been fairly happy with it
so far.  The wire speed control is a bit touchy, and the ground cable
was only half the length of the welding cable for some reason.  I have a
much longer piece of heavier-guage cable but haven't installed it yet.
Whatever the duty cycle of the thing is, I haven't run into it yet.  It
never seems to get hot.  There is a big hinged door to get access to the
wire feed mechanism and spool, and it will take a full-size spool
instead of just the mini size.

 Since it's quite humid around here and I don't weld much I have
problems with the wire oxidizing, and it doesn't feed well or weld well
with oxidized wire.  I have several pounds of silica gel and some foam
weatherstrip tape; when I get around to it I'm going to seal the wire
compartment with the tape and hopefully the silica will absorb any
moisture that makes it in.