Re: Tools rusting :-( & Rattling

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tools rusting :-( & Rattling
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 01:17:35 -0400
Hi!

One way to get rust off tools is navel jelly.  I don't remember if it has
problems w/ chrome plating, as the tools I cleaned off were not plated and
*very* rusty.

One trick I saw to hold tools in place involved the type of foam that is
sprayed into walls and expands.  line the bottom of the toolbox w/ a plastic
bag, closed except for a hole to squirt the foam in, try to figure out how
much the stuff expands (the stuff I used for insulation expanded a *lot*,
around 10-20 to 1), and then press the tools into the top of the plastic
after making a level surface.  the kind of bags that work well are the kind
that are really thin and 'crinkly'.  try to allow for the foam to continue to
expand, maybe having the neck of the bag outside the box itself, and let it
drip onto newpaper or some such.  when it hardens, it is easy to cut it off
level.  Thios might be overkill, but for a car it should stop things from
bouncing around. (I think you could make 2 or more leyers, depending on how
deep the toolboz is)

If anybody has other better ideas (other than the ones already mentioned), I
love to hear them as well-you just never know when something will come in
useful!

Scott M Ryan