Re: Micrometers and Dial indicators

To: Matt Wehland <mwehland@grayfox.svs.com>
Subject: Re: Micrometers and Dial indicators
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 17:38:28 -0700
Matt Wehland wrote:

> Well I'm looking into measurement devices for the car.
> -Dial indicator
> -Dial indicator stand
> -Inside & Outside Micrometers
> -Good protective cases for these tools
>
>Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo are the standard makers these days, not cheap, but
>reliable.  Most good manufacturers supply either hard-shell or
wooden cases for their tools, but most makers of dial calipers (which you
don't mention as needing, but is still very handy to have) settle for
plastic cases, since the tool is rarely in the case. <g>

Resist the urge to spend huge sums of money on digital readout tools
unless you need the 0.0005" accuracy.  Another very handy tool is a bore
gauge, which is much like a dial indicator with adapters for reading
inside diameters--much more accurate and easier to use when trying to
read a tapered bore.
Cheers.