Re: Micrometers and Dial indicators

To: Matt Wehland <mwehland@grayfox.svs.com>
Subject: Re: Micrometers and Dial indicators
From: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 16:25:36 -0500 (CDT)
On Friday, 26 July 1996, Matt Wehland wrote:

> Well I'm looking into measurement devices for the car.  The car is a 95
> Mustang GT and future projects include changing the rear gear, porting
> heads, degreeing the camshaft, checking runout of rotors and such.
> I know that I want
> -Dial indicator
> -Dial indicator stand
> -Inside

Get a good set of telescoping gauges.  Easier to use and therefore often
more accurate than an inside micrometer.  Cheaper, too, as you only have
to pay for the number-reading parts on your outside micrometer calipers.

> & Outside Micrometers
> -Good protective cases for these tools

Generally comes with the tool

> What are some good brands,

Starrett
Brown & Sharpe
Mitotoyo
St. James

>good stores,

Your local machine-tool supply house.

> and what else should I get as far
> as accessories and sizes?

Hmm.  A Mitotoyo 8" vernier caliper sounds handy.  I'd stay away from
dial calipers.  They are not as tough as the vernier caliper and can
induce errors which are not detectable by normal zeroing.

Phil