Re: Paint POR-15

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint POR-15
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 20:58:34 -0400
At 10:33 PM 6/27/96 -0500, Phil Ethier wrote:
>On Thursday, 27 June 1996, John T. Blair wrote:
>
>> For places like headlight buckets, wheel arches, inside doors,
>> rear quarter panels, etc. I use POR-15.

At 10:33 PM 6/27/96 -0500, Phil Ethier wrote:

> Got that right.  Paint right over the rust, if you like.  On my
> streeter,
> If you plan on spraying it, do so only if you are wearing a
> forced-fresh-air respirator.  This stuff is nothing to fool
> around with, but the results are worth the precautions.
>
> You can't return it to the can after you have had some out, so
> take the leftovers and paint your ramps, inside your bumpers,
> rusty steel wheels.

I save all my cherry and olive jars and tops.  You want relatively
small jars about 2" in dia. and maybe 3" tall.  Anyway, when I open
the quart of POR-15, I pour it into several of these small jars.  I
place a piece of plastic over the top of the jar then put the top
back on.  If you don't put the plastic on, the top will stick to the
jar and you **can't** get it open.  I've also found that if you store
the jar upside down it helps.  Especially any that are totally full.
The POR-15 is activated by humidity and the air that is trapped in
the jar will cause the top surface to harden.  You can cut down
through it to get to good paint.  But by storing the jars upside
down, the film will be at the bottom so when you open the jar, you
have paint!  [just check that the tops and plastic are on tightly.
I've had one jar leak all over my bench].

Since you aren't opening 1 big jar all the time, the POR-15 lasts
a lot longer.  At worst I only through a little away when I get to
the bottom of the jar.  Before I started doing this, I have had to
through about 1/2 a quart away - $20 down the drain.

When I use the stuff, I open the jar and pour a little into a cup,
again stuff I salvaged from the kitchen, the small butter tubs work
great.  It's easier to go back for more than to have a lot of it
go bad.  A little of this stuff goes a long ways.  But depending on
the humidity, the live of the paint in an open container, jar or
butter tub is about 1/2 hour (at least here in Southern VA. when
the humidity is between 95 and 106%).

I purchase the loose fitting plastic gloves from a wharehouse buying
club (Price club).  I get 3 packs of 100 gloves for about $5.  I where
these when ever I'm using the POR-15 or a acid metal etchant.  While
I don't stay completely clean, it's a lot better than not wearing the
gloves.

> use a cheap foreign bristle brush and throw it away after it is
> hardened.

I buy the cheapest 1" brushes I can get, about $75 each, from Kmart.
When I finish painting, I pour any remaining money (I mean POR-15)
into the garbage can on top of old paper.  Then I clean the butter
tub and paint brush with lacquer thinner or acetone.  I get
indefinate use from the butter tubs (10 or more uses) and at least
3 uses from 1 brush.

But then again, I'm cheap.

BTW if you aren't aware of it, you can purchase a 5 gal. of
**cleaning** grade lacquer thinner for $18-$25.  That is quite a
savings since I just paid $18/gal for lacquer thinner to paint
with.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!