Re: Garage floor cleaning

To: Gaetan Corneau <gaetanc@berclain.com>
Subject: Re: Garage floor cleaning
From: "Jack L. Poller" <poller@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:40:23 -0700
Gaetan Corneau wrote:

> Hello!
>
> *Sorry* if this is FAQ:
>   -how can I clean my garage's unpainted concrete floor (remove oil stains)?

Use an oil-sweep product.  Typically, these look similar to kitty-litter.
In California, we get "rice hull ash".  Basically, the leftovers
from rice production.  Spread generously on the affected area, and
rub in with the back edge of a push broom.  Wait, remove, repeat.
I usually leave it on at least a day.  It will 'suck' a good portion
of the oil out of the concrete.

>   -how can I clean the floor well enough to paint it?
If it's got more than a sprinkling of oil, you probably can't.
Concrete surface prep for painting or other treatments involve cleaning
real well with water, then you etch the surface with muratic acid.

>    Gaetan Corneau
>    Developer                          Berclain Group Inc. (R&D Group)

Jack L. Poller
--
poller@netscape.com