Hints, tips, continuation

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Hints, tips, continuation
From: trimmerr@icon-stl.net (Ronald G. Trimmer)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:14:15 -0500
The prickley pear cactus are starting to bloom.  I have about 20 yellow
flowers with the pink centers.  Meant to mention that before.

The paragraph below is incomplete so I will try to complete it.
I ran into some problems in marking the wall for the  floor.  To avoid the
problems I had I recommend that you get about 50 foot of clear plastic
tubing and put a hose connection on one end.  Run water through the hose
until the water is a constant temperature.  If you do not do this you will
not get accurate results and they will change as the temperature equalizes.

The plastic hose is cheaper and works better than the water level kits that
you can buy that consists of two pieces of plastic tubing with hose
connections that can be attached to the ends of a hose.   To use you mark a
reference point on a wall or stake.  One person is located at the reference
point with one end of the plastic tubing.  A second person is located at
some other point of interest.  The tubing is moved up and down until the top
of the water is even with the reference mark.  A new reference mark is then
marked by the second person at the water mark at the second point of
interest.  You can then keep the same first reference point and mark other
reference points or move to the second position.  You must not have any air
bubbles in the tubing or it will throw off the measurements.  This is
another reason that the tubing is better than the hose.  I have used my
water level to measure around the wall and to set reference 2x2 stakes for
pouring my concrete floor.  I also used it to set the forms and to get the
proper drainage for my driveway.  At least 1/8 inch drop per foot.  I used
cedar to break the driveway into sections and to double as a form for the
strike off board.  I also used the water level in getting the drop right for
some drainage pipe and my "in the ground" gutters made from large split pvc
pipe.

I noticed in a SAE catalog that they now have a web site:

http://www.sae.org

go to products page each month for a complete list of SAE tech papers
pubished in last 12 months.

Ron