Re: measuring cyl. taper & compressor. tip

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: measuring cyl. taper & compressor. tip
From: walter@roadster.sps.mot.com (thomas walter x5955)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 12:31:41 CDT
> In a pinch, couldn't you take a new ring, measure the gap at the top
> of the bore, then push the ring down to the bottom, and measure the
> gap there.  If you get differnet gap readings, then you have a taper.
> How to calcualte the amount of taper is left as an exersize to the
> reader.
>
> Seriously, would this be an accurate way to measure taper?

Seems reasonable. ;-)

Typically most of the wear is on the thrust side of the block, so
it is a little "wider" in that region, than the front to rear
orientation.

While I can live with a little extra clearnance, I would like to have
an idea of the "east-west" size vs. "north-south" size. Taper measure-
ment, using a piston ring gap,  might show only 0.001" of clearance,
but the bore could be out of round by 0.002".

So I am staring at the poor beast, with the cylinder head in one
corner of the garage, and looking at it with that cold steel stare
of "Restoration Project or Parts Car".  Like Peter Egan, any of the
cars that make it as far as my house tend to become projects.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.